Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Legalism springs from ignorance...

"Legalism has its roots in sinful ignorance — ignorance of the exalted holiness of God's law on the one hand, and ignorance of the defiled and radical corruption of human nature on the other hand. Only the obedience of Him who was filled with all the fullness of the Godhead bodily (Col. 2:9) could satisfy the demands of God's holy law. The life of Jesus was the embodiment of divine perfection, infinite purity and inexhaustible love. All this was required, and nothing less than this, to fulfill all righteousness. In the person of His Son, the eternal God endured infinite suffering and humiliation to pay the human debt to divine justice. This was the price paid for our salvation. Nothing satisfies the law but the doing and dying of Christ. In the light of this inestimable price, the best we could ever offer the law would be "rotten stubble and straw" (Luther).

I did not know the stain of sin was so deep Until I saw Him shed His blood.I did not know my pride was so highUntil I saw His infinite humiliation. I had no idea how deep my pit of sinUntil I beheld the length of the chain let down to save me.

God will have all the glory of our salvation or none at all. Partners with God we may be in other areas, but not in this. Human nature would rather work its fingers to the bone than humbly accept the truth that grace means to be accepted in spite of being unacceptable. We have no claim on God's love. We can never put Him in debt to us. "

Present Truth Mag

No comments: